The Steamboat Association of Great Britain
SBA Services Limited's ("the SBAS") principal function is the provision of Boiler Inspection and Testing services for steamboaters.
This function is provided via the SBAS Boiler Inspection Scheme ("The Scheme") which we operate and provide as a service to steamboaters. This service (both it's administration and the technical/inspection requirements) are fully and formally described in this Scheme Booklet. (the "BIS Booklet"). The contents of this web page are just for your information and do not supersede or overrule the contents of the Booklet. I the event of conflict or disagreement between this, or other, pages on this website and the Booklet, the Booklet shall take precedence.
SBA Boiler Inspection Scheme provides:
You can book your inspections directly via the SBAS Scheme Administrator as described below.
- Boiler & Pressure System Design Assessment Service - certification of new boiler designs by professional design engineers, which can then be inspected and certified under the SBAS Boiler Inspection Scheme.
- Construction Surveillance Service - Inspection of boilers under construction to ensure appropriate materials and manufacturing processes are employed, and that the boiler confirms to an approved design.
- Periodic Boiler Inspections Service - periodic inspection and certification of boilers by a professional engineer to agreed SBAS standards.
1. When the boiler has previously been accepted into the Scheme through SBA Services AND when the customer agrees to the Terms & Conditions detailed in The SBA Boiler Inspection Scheme Booklet (available here or from the Administrator). Please telephone or email the Administrator to book your inspection.
2. When the boiler has not previously been inspected via SBA Boiler Inspection Scheme Services, it is necessary to complete the Booking Form (available here or from the Administrator).
The charge to the customer will consist of the expenses claimed by the inspector for hours on site, and mileage to and from the site of the inspection. A fixed charge for insurance and administration will be added for each boiler inspected.The current charges (as of 1st January 2023) are:
This service will be quoted upon request, where (if possible) a fixed price for the assessment of a design. Following assessment a copy of the design will be added to the Boiler Design Library, and will be made available for other builders. (If the designer wishes to not have the design published in the Library they should notify the administrator prior to requesting a quotation and the SBAS will quote for this service with due regard to this decision).
Chris Davies, Wold Edge, Scagglethorpe, Malton YO17 8DU.
Tel: 07785 778533 or send an email
When thinking about the SBAS and our boiler inspection scheme it is important to note that Boiler examinations under the SBA Boiler Inspection Scheme (SBA BIS) are arranged by SBA Services Ltd (SBAS) which takes every reasonable care in making the arrangements and hopes that users of the Scheme find it wholly satisfactory in meeting their boiler inspection requirements.
However, users will understand that SBA Services Ltd is not (and does not hold itself out as being) qualified to be a Competent Person to carry out boiler examinations.
Professional and technical accountability for boiler examinations carried out under the SBA BIS rests with the Inspectors who carry them out and SBA Services Ltd can accept no liability for the professional and technical competence and conduct of the inspectors.However, SBAS maintains in force a policy of professional indemnity insurance which provides cover in respect of examinations carried out to orders placed by SBAS; this acts as a safeguard for inspectors and owners in the unlikely event of something going wrong.