The 45th SBA Annual General Meeting
Saturday 19th March 2016
We are delighted to announce that the 45th SBA Annual General Meeting will be held on March 19th 2016. It will be held at the Warwick Arts Centre in the University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL. This is a new venue for the SBA which provides excellent facilities for another stimulating AGM and social event.
The Centre is close to the M6 / M1 / M40. There is plentiful car parking adjacent to the Centre, which can also be reached from Coventry Railway Station by an express bus service in 15 minutes. This is a central location for many of our members and we hope that the AGM will be well attended. Of course, we regret we can’t be closer to our Scottish and other more distant members; another time, however. The event is far more than just an AGM – we aim to provide a stimulating day for members and partners – so read on …
What happens at the AGM?
SBA Annual General Meetings are always enjoyable and often fascinating. As usual, at our 45th:
· in the morning from 9am we will enjoy time to meet friends, enter pictures in the photographic competition, offer sales items and buy & sell steamboat related bits and pieces at the auction (from 10:30am). To speed the auction along lots must be valued at a starting price of £10. To speed up the paperwork on the day please say when you book if you intend to bid and/or to put stuff in the auction. Members wishing to trade small bits and bobs are very welcome to take a table as a sales stand: there will be plenty available.
· The afternoon will see the main AGM at 2pm (agenda attached), which although it is the core reason for the event, we will keep short but effective. It will be followed by:
- presentations to trophy and photo competition winners; and
- 3 speakers to provide stimulation, information and enlightenment: our President, Sir Neil Cossons; the Chief Executive of the Canal & River Trust, Mr. Richard Parry and Mr. Derek Brown, the authority on injector design and construction.
· In the early evening at 6pm, our dinner provides an excellent opportunity to sit down with friends.
What will it cost?...
There is no charge for simply attending the AGM. Refreshments, to be booked in advance, cost:
Coffee & tea (provided on arrival and mid-afternoon).........£ 6.00
Buffet lunch with coffee/tea.............................................£14.50
Two Course evening dinner with coffee/tea........................£25.50
What do I need to do?
(1) Note the date in your diary! Decide what meals/refreshments you would like (am & pm coffee/ lunch/ dinner).
(2) The quickest way to book is to register online and pay with a payment card (use the button to the left). When the full AGM documents are ready, you will receive an email that you can view them and/or print them on the website.
3) If you don't want to register online, you can register and book refreshments by post and pay by cheque mail using this booking form.
Prepare a cheque to cover the cost of those meals/refreshments you select.
Prepare a robust stamped, self-addressed envelope (capable of accepting a wad of A4 size papers so it’s a 250gm ‘large letter’ package and should carry 2x First Class stamps). Immediately prior to the 4th March we will send you an AGM document pack.
Post all the paperwork – with the SAE and a cheque made out to the SBA – to the Event Secretary:
Felicity Palmer (SBA)
4 Forge Close
Holmer Green HP15 6PY
(Email queries to email@example.com or phone 01524 884 100)
Good quality conference delegate style accommodation is available on the campus in the Radcliffe facility (www.warwickconferences.com/our-venues/accommodation/accommodation-radcliffe) on Friday and Saturday nights. 30 rooms are available to SBA Members at reduced rates: B&B charges per night are £78 (single) and £96 (double). Book directly with Radcliffe, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02476 573 925 and quote STEAM16 as reference. If numbers justify, we will book private tables for dinner on the Friday evening, 18th March.
Coventry offers hotel accommodation nearby, with the opportunity to visit the city centre and Cathedral.
See the 2016 Announcement Page for further details and documents.
Event type 3
Key to event types
1 - SBA Organised Event (owner's declaration required)
2 - SBA organised participation in 3rd party's event (owner's declaration required)
In event types 1 and 2 the SBA organisers and SBA members are covered by the SBA Liability Insurance; these events count towards the SBAS boiler test Discount Scheme.
3 - private meeting of members with or without boats
4 - private, individual participation of members in 3rd party's event
5 - for information only